Pages

Friday, June 3, 2016

Sile's Dress

A tiny, baby girl was stillborn on February 28, 2016 to my daughter Maritta and her husband Ben.  She was given the  name, 'Sile'  (pronounced See-lah) the Irish name for Cecelia.  Many friends sent kind notes and offered gestures of love and kindness.  Our dear friends from Fern Ridge Collection knew of a woman in their local guild that makes beautiful burial dresses for these tiny infants.  Pattie Davidson graciously made this as a lovely gift from Pat and Peggy.

Taking the time to make such beautiful things to sell would be a wonderful item for someone to purchase, but Pattie makes these dresses and charges not a single penny.  I was in awe of her generous kindness in all the lovely details of the smocking, sewing and embroidery.  We want to thank her publicly for this gift from the hands of a needle artist who gives back in such a special way.
Maritta says:  "When I opened the package and saw the beautiful gown I was in tears, not because it was a sad moment. My tears were from seeing such a perfect dress, made with such care and love; the gown was so precious and it gave me back a memory I thought I was not going to have...the memory of a handmade gown for my beautiful daughter. Thank you for the love, and tenderness put into each and every gown you make Pattie, your thoughtfulness gave this mom a memory and a motherly moment I was in such need of at the time."

At the hospital there was a room, called the Butterfly Room.  It is filled with handmade blankets, some quilted, some knit for these tiny babies who were either stillborn or died shortly after birth.  Little dresses and outfits were also there along with tiny plush animals.  Grieving Mothers and Grandmothers can choose little outfits and a blanket for the burial.  Often they had matching sets so one set was given to the Mothers when they leave the hospital and placed in a 'memory box' with the feet and hand prints of the baby and other items. 

If you feel inclined to share your needlework skills in this way I suggest contacting your local hospital to see if such a program exists in your area.

In gratitude for the gifts from the hand and heart,
Cecelia 

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for Maritta's and Ben's and everyone's loss of sweet Sile'. What a beautiful dress for your sweet angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cece
    The loss of Sile is one you will always feel. I have walked in Maritta's shoes, as has my daughter. We know the loss but we also know the great comfort found from others who know the pain. You are not alone. What a beautiful treasured memory you have thanks to Pattie's generosity. You are in my prayers. I am so very sorry. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sharing this. Talk about a gift from the hand and heart. Its people like Patti, angels that walk amongst us reminding us of the preciousness of gifts in the truest sense, empathy and life's good times and bad. I hope over the year that Maritta and Ben are doing well.

    ReplyDelete